Sunday, June 27, 2010

In a world of indifference mass market, there is still room for quality made to measure

One of the most brilliant career experiences in my life was my first visit in the elegant heart of the British men's haberdashery Bespoke, Saville Row in London's exclusive Mayfair district. I was a young man at the very beginning of my career in International Business cosmetics, and know how, excellent global reputation of English gentleman of hand tailored clothes, which I had never experienced craftsmen and handicrafts. I wasBuild my wardrobe bought the clothes rack American department stores.

In my first visit to London in the early 1970s, I was anxious, most of the shop windows of the famous street known as Saville Row worldwide. Hidden behind the inauspiciously takes much more commercial and Regent Street, was the slow pace and the simple elegance of the street is a quick shock. It almost seemed as if the owner of the tailor shop and tried to avoid a successful business.The shops were small, delicate and ominous signs and shop windows as simple as possible represented. The complete focus on the many bolts of cloth from infinite colors, patterns and weights, classic tailoring and tailoring quality.

I was fascinated but dared not enter a single operation. The next day, breakfast, asked for my merchants English, what I had done and seen during my day off in London. I described my journey through the fascinating streetsand my charm, especially with Saville Row. My agent asked me if I wanted to make an appointment for an assembly with one of the cutter. "Certainly not," I replied, "Saville Row tailoring the height is a bit 'out of reach.

For an hour, my agent was my teacher on the finer points of British men held at a suitable quality of clothes. He insisted that was not pretentious or a terrifying experience for young Americans to enjoy the EnglishMen of course, held in the assembly of their wardrobe. More importantly, while the bespoke suit can cost more initially, there is a much better value, because the fit, quality materials and craftsmanship ensures that the example will be much longer and provide a much better than any head clothing off the racks ever. He suggested we make a date with his Saville Row tailor, and so we did.

The term "custom" is so very British. It simply means "beingtalked about. "In other words, keep an exclusively tailored to suit the body shape of a particular client unique and personal preferences. Saville Row tailor meticulous record of sizes Each client built, styling preferences, cloth and color selection and accessories. Each lamp is used is treated as a main assembly of the cutter must always be done, because in reality!
My first bespoke suit is not appropriate for me a Saville Row, the famous address Gieves & Hawkes. This, the most famous andtypical British institution conducts its origins in late 1700. The company holds numerous Royal Warrants and customers served by Napoleon Bonaparte, Winston Churchill, Charlie Chaplin, David Beckham. After 250 years of tailors in London, Gieves & Hawkes is still less than 1000 complaints per year.

Business has many offers that would produce the mass of a series of suits and sportswear, which could be sold abroad in large quantities. The owners havebe strictly avoided in this way. Gieves & Hawkes, trademark, so assiduously and meticulously maintained and cultivated for generations, is not tampered with.

We live in a world where millions of consumers can do and enjoy the results of economies of scale, mass production and international distribution logistics, which make these products affordable and readily available. This is a blessing for us all. However, it is a comforting thought, that the hand of the old world,superb products, tailored to the tailored suits, lovingly sewn colleagues as Gieves & Hawkes Saville Row and other companies are still available for those who want to choose the quantity, more quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment