Sunday, October 17, 2010

The young and the Bosco (Part I, II)

He was a young man) kicked himself in the deep forest (Northern Minnesota, and had gone days 45 days now without a wolf in the first fifteen-a young girl was waiting for him. But thirty days, without wolf woman young mother told her that her husband was young, that by far the worst luck any man can be and, consequently, find another guy, and not waste their timewith him. He lost the girl to see the young man of his shoulder and back woods to your cabin every evening from empty hands, his face still down, his rifle near the bottom flare instead of her. He had his backpack and water bottle at the end, it seemed as if he were in deep despair, trance.

The young man was thin but strong, with deep blue eyes, a long neck. His skin was bronze departure from the long Minnesota winter knows thatThe lack of sun and the frozen north, they reproduce the rosy cheeks. The rustic red spots went well up to his chin on his face, making a crust as rudeness to it, and had his hands deep in their white, as if it were near freezing system, and apparently, none of these new ones. They were as old or nearly as old as three winters old (and perhaps older than that, he had a hunting longer than he could remember was, for them at such an early age his father had started as hisfather of his father, his grandfather is his father took an early age, it seems, and perhaps not-waiting, had become a tradition). There were traces of a durable fighter, but has not reached his twenty-third birthday.

Everything about him was palpable youth, but its course, and uses the same type of migration, as old and worn by hunters, who have seen the win, and old and tired, he thought to defeat him, matter-of- did was, it tookcheerful.

Yvonne Doble (a good daughter, a mother), the young woman said to the young as they left the forest, where the young man had come from Jay Ramsey, "I could keep you company next time you go to four heads are better than two, and we managed to make some money with the fur. "

"I know," he said. Then he realized that to him, not to see him at least.

"It 's terrible." He said.

"SoMurder is horrible, "said Jay Ramsey," but it's better that way. "

Now she looked at him.

"I never thought of other people, but by you. I was thinking of you. You need to know."

"Yes," said Jay. "I thought about it, and it is too late to rethink, in other ways to kill but to the animal. If there is a way to convince the wolf back to his home in the forest and stay there. ... Out there where life is just another wolfever seen, but I can not see him do that no warning is good enough. And then maybe in two or three months, then kill again until he is dead and buried somewhere in the woods to the north.

This time he had seen a vision, turn it stopped talking: they were standing in the hard snow and watched him until he saw them he stopped.

The young girl had learned to hunt and shoot, but she was seventeen, and the girlloved.

"No," said he, "you're with your father and help him, you know how to hunt and shoot right away, had more luck than me in the next few days, stay with him, he needs you."

'Think about it, a few years, how happy you were when you came back with four wolves on a weekend, and maybe you'll get the gray wolf, the killer. "

"Yes, I have to keep in mind," said he, "I know that I avoid, because it is nottrust me. "

"It 's been my mother, she will always remain a year with me, I'm a girl and she worries about me and my security .."

"I understand," said the young man: "It is not uncommon for parents to keep their daughters safe."

"But I do not have much confidence in you."

"I know," said he, "but you do, do not you?"

"Oh yes," she said. "Can I have a hot chocolate or coffee for you in the Northwoods Café, and then Ibring it on over to his cabin. "

"Sure, it sounds a lot," said he, "among hunters.

They were sitting on the porch and the young girl, it was very cold, and a few other hunters have seen how he lived, a few laughed the young, but they have paid little attention, if at all, and he was not angry or annoyed with them, he would show sooner or later. On the other hand, if you spoke with him, spoke with respect and evenhas led to knowledge of diseases and bad weather, and the difficulties they went through in recent years.

Many hunters had killed their deer, and fur made from the skins of wolves and even a few black bear, and a pair of foxes and beavers. But the young man wanted nothing more than wolves, and was really looking for the Great Gray Wolf, the killer.

You could see many skins hung-up on clothes lines outside the cab, frozen,Fish, bending and rigid in the wind, some even waiting for the ice to melt on them, to bring them to the trading post, and sell the skins and cases come in $ 25 premium for a dead wolf obtained.

In some cases, the wolves are skinned and their interiors filled with places on the walls to show the works of the great hunter shows.

"Jay," said the girl.

"Yes," replied the young man, holding the cup of coffee and thought of the pastYears.

"Can I have a hot soup?" the girl asked.

"No, go home and to help your parent cook dinner for your father. I can still make the soup, I'm not so tired."

"I want to do something for you. If I do not go hunting with you, I would somehow, a little to help."

"I brought the coffee," said the young man "was already close to adult women."

"How many years have been the first time that led me to hunt?"

"Well, I think about five yearsfirst, as we pulled into the thick forests and wild cats in the vicinity of our tent apart to get the other fish cooked through and let the sleeping bag. Remember? "

"I remember her fingernails scratching on a hole and the noise and purrs, I can remember to throw your shoes I think him a shot in the head and back as corkscrews."

"I can not believe you remember so well."

"I remember everything when you started me onHiking in the forest, but he said you were like my older brother then, but now she says I'm not a girl anymore, but a woman in constant evolution. "

The young man looked at her with his deep blue eyes and, still tired confident, and loving eyes, some for the little girl of five years, some for the woman who always has been.

"If you were my girl, I bring with me to hunt," he said. "But you're the daughter of your father, mother and daughter, and they need you solike me, but come first. "

"Today we went fishing PA. He says he made the hunt for the season."

"I felt a little ham and cheese sandwiches for you in our cafeteria, I know they have ham and cheese, and tuna, I do a lot 'of hunters and the soup, I can also get a soup that will warm your insides on .

"Today I have one left, I ate, it is not in the woods, should still be good, is in my backpack .."

"Nonsense, let me go in freshones. "

"Okay, but not limited to the most," said the young (solid). He was tired and did not want to argue, has been destroyed its position. But he was slowly regaining momentum.

"A sandwich and a bowl of soup," said the girl.

Well, "the young man agreed." But you do not steal them? "He asked.

"I'd like, but I play one dollar pa to catch some big walleyes yesterday. So I can afford to buy them," she said quickly when she fell, Add the broth and sandwiches and brought them back for a moment.

"Man, that was fast," said the young man, when Yvonne came back with his hands stroked soup and sandwiches in the cafe was just up the road a bit '. "Thanks," said the boy with short, precise dialogue. Then he began to spoon feed the sandwich and soup to eat without hesitation, almost too hungry to show more humility. But she knew he had to give, and hunger andworn out, and I feel sad and ashamed when they do not include losses pride of a hunter, took no offense.

"I think tomorrow is my day, I'll still get the gray wolf to break especially with the relaxation of the snow and weather, would have hungry and in search of food," he said.

"Where are you going?" the girl asked.

"Not that all that deep in the forest, around the edge, and the booths here, the wind seems to shift, and the smell of the food is always thrown to the wolves, andBears and all, and the wolves and wild cats come in and want to get closer to the food available, especially if you can not get into the woods. So I'll try to wander around the edges of forests, including my car, maybe I'll get a trap, I thought of one. I will leave tomorrow, before the sun rises. "

"I'll make a great lunch with lead," said the girl. Then, when you kill the gray wolf, you have enough energy to bring him back. "

"Well, I do not think that the greatgray wolf is too deep in the forests of tomorrow, "said the young

"I think you're right," she said, "Maybe you could see it from a tree as is done with the deer, sit up and waits for some event down to him .."

"He is an old wolf, I think, and his eyes are not as good as them, maybe ten years, but used to say, the devil, and he has all his teeth and hair and nails. Fishing in the area, as the old Sabertooth lion that I readabout. "

'Let me be blind, "said the girl, a little' fear for Jay.

"It's weird," Mann says of young people in passing that "no one has ever captured or killed the Great Wolf, this forest, but then I never heard anyone specifically out to kill him, the marginalized, more than try to capture him, and when they see him again, usually they never do more if he attacks you from behind. He has a good memory for faces, I think. I know I'm like thatgray wolf, a strange young man. "

"But I do not know if you have strong enough time to go tomorrow so early in the morning and read the wolf, without a doubt you need is your strength."

"I do not. I mean, I'll be fine, I have many ideas and some tricks to get this wolf, I've been at this for a while 'time."

"I'll be your weapon at the edge of the forest to take tomorrow morning, so you can save your strength," cried the girl, nervously. "I got a canOur cabin pork n beans, put them together for tomorrow. "

She took the gun and laid it on the table again, how to clean it. Then the young man, cardigans put three inches on a chair beside the table, the gun was on, and a cartridge belt, with his pistol, a 38 -Special and a box of shells and its backpack, side opened by the President and his canteen full of water on the table at the bottom of the weapon (a 30/30). His boots weredried and polished, and socks, was on his boots.

Nobody robbed the houses of the city, what was in those rooms was their life, their means for survival, as they had less than a gun could mean under and, with the means man to protect the safety wildlife. It 'was the hunter the unforgivable sin. Despite some futile attempts occurred in the past, and were severely dealt with and these people are no longer living within the group ofPeople.

In the morning they went up the road and then it turned out to the edge of the forest, and the young man saw a way to return to his small hut and thought. Then the young man took his gun, threw his bag under his arm, and shoulder and back, slightly bent '.

The fog was almost as thick as the smoke was coming from his chimney. The hut was made of hardwood logs in and out,and a wooden floor plank. He did not have much in the cabin, a crib for a bed, two bedside tables in wood arms for cleaning and the other to eat the minutes of seemingly without overlapping each other, and cut into groves on each end, sturdy hardwood , and a statue of a small statue of St. Teresa, on a board on the wall of a shelf, and for his many books, which rested on the sill which is a dozen times, "The Big Woods", read by William Faulkner "Men Without Women" by ErnestHemingway, "Reveille in Tap" Fitzgerald, Sherwood Anderson and The Reader. "Over it hung a framed picture of Jesus These were the remains of his mother, with the exception of books. With his bed hung a portrait of his late mother, a snapshot of a brownish-old stand-up camera. It was the shelf beside the window, the only window of the cabin, and it was a loft with a bed for him in business.

"What did you eat?" the girl asked.

"Some rabbits, Mrs. Stanleyin addition, the remains brought from their dinner, I came to warm up this morning before. "

(Mrs. Stanley, a woman was usually quiet old now Boney slender, upright, just an old-time nest of white hair under a hat out of fifty, a stick rustic brown faded. She lived with her husband lived, and bird baths that was crumbling in their backyard, where they observed the birds to swim during the summer, and where her husband had chicken neck, just behind the ringBird bath.)

"Want to get your fire going in the cabin while you are away?" the girl asked.

"No," I will when I return. "

"Sure," replied the girl.

(And the young man thought, I take the body of the animal which, if I kill him, all over the country to show and to ensure that people died "is what? You think," said the girl looked up. Face. He told a lie without batting an eye, easy, fastand without remorse. "Not much, just missing the coffee, making coffee is really good"

"If you allow me, I would like to list some tonight." He said.

"I'm sure he will die soon if not today," the youth said: "If you are friendly, so you are asked to leave, so I can see that you are sure how you go again?" Then he disappeared, his feet moved quickly and easily with the snow through the cold, blank. He had to wait only a short time before disappearingacross the street and cabins.)

He looked at his cabin was not having rabbit stew bowl empty, and the girl who is hunting on an empty stomach.

"And the 'day forty-six a lucky number," she whispered aloud to himself. And it looked in the mirror smooth hair, as if perhaps passed through those doors to non-hold. And he sat at his wooden table, watching the fire go out in the heart, and read an old warehouse. Found the cultural sector, and told him,"I'm going to read up on Europe."

Jay Ramsey, started the events that took place a few years ago, back around 1959, or maybe it was 1960, now it is reflected in 1962, just 1963 (when he went through the thick snow hard, lifted knees and pushed his legs forward, took each step at a time when the strength of his body).

He recalled, Ruth Stanley, who had lived in the area, a few years ago to visit their relatives, have always had nightmares, nightmares, "saidPeople of this, they have seen death, I mean, Mr. Death, the man who rides the black horse, and is to take up his cause, or little, which is delayed by a person when you go to their last breath. Apparently did not have the horse ridden by Ruth, even in these times of engines and machines, at least in his nightmares, he's done.

So went the forests here, has maintained its sister course, the cabin Mrs. Stanley (sister-in-law), was told that they couldStay there for a couple of weeks or days, while their fixed assets, including their nightmares that they brought back the North Woods, St. Paul, Minnesota, and had perhaps his brother's grave to see in this winter season is was in the cemetery near where the road ended up buried, and to start the forests. He knew the neighbors, and Lund Yankcavick and Gunderson, and that of Brandt and even Jay Ramsey and Miss Yvonne Doble. His brother, Oscar Stanley, of courseknew them well, and how they trusted again with their surroundings, he noted, many bushels of corn had been out of reach corncribs the south, and a big pile of grain was held as usual at the back of the village shop of the main food for winter animal feed is on the ground at the edge of town, about where Minnehaha Creek Little was built by Katie Chandler. But she was not here for that, she was here to study their nightmares and being around peopleThose who feel safe.

On his second day on the morning of the second day of Stanley House, came to the Creek, the cemetery on the left, some fishermen looked over their shoulders, like the old days, where his father and brother drove and kicked to the street where they worked sawmills and timber trucks to the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul), the lumberyards, or access to what was available to work.

+ It was in the afternoonbefore his death, he had a premonition, said Jay Ramsey, "The death looked me in the eye, eye to eye, almost shoulder to shoulder, said with a very serious voice:" Not in your brother's house smell a living blood is strong and smells of death, go home, make haste to your name in my book. "'

And when Ruth Stanley was about to leave, his car would not start, it took Gary Lund to look at it, check it out, and it was evening, and all shops were closed, and Garycould not get the parts he needs until the morning, and Ruth is based on the porch waiting, he stopped.

And while he waited, he fell into a deep sleep, a mortal sleep, and he remembered what he had said to his death, and was ready to leave, he told himself, just waiting for the car to be repaired, to Gary and to raise say, 'Okay Miss Ruth is fixed the car "and then go away, go as soon as Gary was done with the car, but Gary was gone, and she remained in this deep sleep and intensea blanket over her, in a rocking chair on the veranda, when he was not fixing the car up in the morning, and his sister had left her sleeping, you may leave in the morning, and woke up for dinner.

He said: "What strange dream," he said it was a wolf tooth to confirm complete too much for the mind, but showed the tooth in a stranger, "What," a strange dream, her, and then a soldier came out who was a veteran soldier of World War I, he saw the image,was his grandfather, he also showed his portrait, he died in 1947, and was in 1962, fourteen years had passed, and they (the thought, a memory I have), then said, "Why are you in this strange dream about me? " Do not expect an answer.

"Death was embarrassed to tell you is the death of him who sent me to tell you, you're dead, this is not a dream."

And then he thought of Mr. Nick (thus death was said) said aloud his death-self, "No, I'm asleep, I'mgo to a hotel, I felt like death. "

"No, you're dead, was a wolf, while you were sleeping on the porch, and killed him, the old soldier of the First World War and his grandfather simply said so."

You, Ruth saw in a state of disbelief contemptuously as they die, as unnatural, he thought.

He felt that it was absolutely criminal, wrong choice, ordered ahead of time, was sentenced to a simple failure to meet their schedule deviation in a hotel for another destination on their minds. He felt as ifit was a rocket in late, and the backup was reactivated and the old soldier said, "we are, we are not as fragile creatures."

Yvonne had seen the young man goes to his cabin, and asked himself, "you can not double, it could happen? And 'Do you think it possible?" Then he said to stay warm, move on, "... remember in December, the months of unpredictable snow and cold. I have some beef jerky in my backpack," she murmured when this came out of the earmuffunder his hat to cover his ears and shook his scarf around his neck, the wind was chilling him.

"Wake up", the young man said, was a tree resting, waiting to hear the sound or see a shadow. He opened his arms to lift her knees and her body. He opened his eyes, came from a near sleep, and then took a deep breath.

(Could not the position was in the tree that the wolf was a circle. He was too tired to be seen. It 'just hearda low pressure in the neck, and then began to look everywhichway, puts on his body turning slightly to the right, the right hand close to sleep. His narrow chest, and he twisted his neck, and then the shoulders and then go behind the tree on the whole tree, with a quick pivot move, young half-frozen legs swung with his swing. "It 's a very big forest," he said. "I know, I hear, he's circle." Then he knelt down to see more clearly on the white sheet of snow,reluctantly. "I think he was closing on me," the young man concluded, "The war ... I have to remain vigilant as I can," he said. "Maybe an hour, I want to see him. But I have to convince him, I am weak and helpless, like I was her, but in reverse." But the wolf was out of sight and surrounded slowly now, wet and sweaty and tired. For an hour, the young man saw spots before his eyes, wiped the sweat from his forehead. It 'been raised bytension. Twice he fell to his knees as he moved on hard snow, he also felt a bit 'weak at times. He said that the wolf is intended to come jumping out of nothing on him. "I have to get together, alert, my body is cold, this unit, which was crazy." stopped after a while 'Wolf in a circle, and disappeared. And the young man's neck was still sore).

"Where are the wolf," he muttered. "Lunch", he said, and pulled thePiece of meat that had kept in his backpack. "I'm going to lunch. I'm not really hungry, but I have to eat to maintain my strength." Come on, where are you! "The young man said:" I know that your stomach is empty, it must be protean. "

He drank from his bottle. "I know," he whispered, as if in a conversation with his alter ego, as if a person himself, "is not the whiskey, just water.'s Not very nice of you to wait for me day after day after day, try to eat together. I would takeFaulkner, Hemingway, or the hunting of wolves to show them a thing or two. But Hemingway would only talk about Africa, and Faulkner, he would not stand the cold. Who is the greatest hunter of all-Tarzan! "And the young man began to laugh to keep it to return to sleep in his vicinity.

He knew that the wolf might smell a scent of man, even in the snow as it was in the feet, it was a breeze, but the white of the snow was blinding. He was still dreaming of the big game, as ifIt 'was started on a trip to Jack London, but his dreams always in the woods, and ended in the woods, not on the beach, or in Africa, he never dreamed of places that just read about them, they looked in books, and then closed the books to explore the woods. He urinated on a tree outside, sipping his pants and began to walk along the edge of the forest.

Quick on the top line of the ridge forest had cut his shadow, jumped like a snake in the treeline (hemust come from the vicinity, one of the cabins), Jay gradually saw the wolf, and then nothing. And then there was no shade. Its shape and thickness of meters in width with shades of tan to brown and dried blood under the gray, all in mixing his whole body gray husky. He said to move his muscles, it seemed as if she forgot to dive and continue the snow, had been a long time, I felt as if his hands had fallen asleep, you forget your gunprisoners. There was still daylight, but the days are short in a cold winter in Minnesota, particularly in the immortal. He said that he could look tomorrow, his reflexes were dull, and was transparent in the vicinity of sleep and movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment